Tuesday 16 February 2010

                                                                        Sara Savoury.

  (This was named by my fiance. He thinks that its yummy)

THis meal makes a great meal for using up leftovers. I had some cooked cabbage left over which went into this

INGREDIENTS

  • puff pastry. I use the pre brought frozen stuff. Did I mention I am a lazy cook? :)
  • pesto. (Brought or homemade)
  • Meat (opional. THis makes a wonderful veggi option)
  • any left over veg.
  • red pepper, sliced
  • courgette, sliced
Roll out puff pastry into a square. I used my baking tray as a measuring guide. THis served four nicely.

with a knife score a inner square about an inch and a half in. The idea is to leave a edge so that the puff pastry rises round the outside.

brush the whole square with milk.

in the centre square spread a liberal spreading of pesto.

then put the meat on first. Remember to think of which ingredients needs most cooking and put the ones that need most cooking down first.

layer all the veg. I used cooked cabbage, mushroom, tomatoes, pepper and courgette.

Sprinkle some grated cheese over the top

Place into an oven. I use electric oven which is about 200oc I think for gas it is gas mark 6 for around 30mins. I like to check on it around two times just to keep an eye on its progress. The puff pastry outer edge will rise and contain the ingredients. Cut into 4 slices when ready and serve with a salad or whatever you fancy. We had it on its own. I am sure it will be nice cold in the summer. I have so far only tried it hot

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara
    What a yummy blog! I love the Sara Savoury it looks soooo delish. I'll have to try that one. Great information on the herbs. I love fresh herbs but I don' know how to use them as well as the dried ones. This info is great
    have a lovely Saturday and weekend.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks terrific! I like anything that helps me clean up the kitchen of leftovers!! Thanks for sharing!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete